This page provides ideas and resources to help you and your community take action during suicide prevention week. This campaign complements the sustained efforts led by NRBHSS and our partners throughout the year towards creating suicide-safer communities.
A regional awareness campaign was launched with the objective of helping Nunavimmiut to be more attentive to and supportive of vulnerable people, reinforce protective factors, and publicize the available resources. Different tools :
- Reactivation of the Reach Out Nunavik Facebook Page: promoting tools, resources and positive messages ;
- Posters and post cards sent to the 14 communities, reminding everyone that resources are available;
- Local contacts selected within the region to share input and promote the campaign in each community;
- Short videos on Inuit values and culture and that aim to share hope will be launched soon;
- Reinforcement of partnerships with regional organizations and programs in order to better relay the messages;
Communication is an essential step to better understanding and preventing suicide. This campaign wishes to consolidate and ensure the continuity of the available resources and to focus on the importance of working together for better prevention efforts.
Radio Capsule: When life is difficult, “we are here for you.” The Inuktitut radio capsule models simple phrases that can support vulnerable people and provide hope. Download the mp3 here and play it on the radio or at your event.
Poster: Check out soon in public places the new poster a part of the suicide prevention campaign.
For schools: Print the tupiq colouring sheet and invite students to identify the “rocks” in their lives.
Funding for community events: A budget of up to $1000 is offered to each community in order to organize an event or community project for suicide prevention during the month of February.
Talking about suicide prevention: The national theme for the 2018 suicide prevention week is “Talking about suicide saves lives.” Check out our tips for speaking responsibly about suicide prevention on the radio or at a public event:
Social Media: “Like” the Nunavik Regional Board of Health and Social Services, and the Reach Out Nunavik Facebook page, and be sure to share the posts about suicide prevention!
To learn more about preventing suicide:
- NRBHSS year-round suicide-prevention initiatives
- Inuit Tapiriit Kanatami Suicide Prevention Strategy
- Quebec Suicide Prevention Association (French)
- Nunavut’s Embrace life council