All Nunavimmiut aged eight years and older are invited to participate in the 17th edition of the (Stay) Quit to Win Challenge from April 1 to May 13, 2019.
During the six weeks of the contest, smokers are invited to take on the challenge to quit smoking and thus have a chance to win a variety of prizes. The winners will be selected in a draw among those who succeeded in giving up smoking and will be announced in June 2019.
Three good reasons to register for the challenge
- Quitting smoking means taking care of your health. Your family and friends want you to stay around as long as possible.
- Quitting smoking in groups increases the chances of successfully abandoning cigarettes for life. Lead by example and start a movement among those you know.
- Save money! Someone who smokes 10 cigarettes per day at $20 a pack spends an average of $300 per month on tobacco products.
How to register for the contest
- You must be at least 8 years old on March 31st, 2019.
- Children under the age of 14 years must have authorization from a parent or legal guardian.
- Quit Buddies must enter the name(s) of their team member(s) on the registration form.
- Complete the registration form:
- To collect their prizes, the winners must undergo a nicotine screening test at the end of the challenge.
Adult smokers (18 +)
Young smokers (8 to 18 years)
Adult Quit Buddies (18 +)
Young Quit Buddies (8 to 18 years)
What is a Quit Buddy?
- This year, non-smokers and ex-smokers are invited to participate in the contest by becoming a Quit Buddy.
- A Quit Buddy must register for the challenge as part of a team with one or more smokers (maximum of three) who must also be registered for the contest. By supporting two or three smokers, a quit buddy has two or three times more chances of winning a prize.
- A space is reserved on the registration form to enter the names of team members.
- A Quit Buddy’s role is to support smokers in the challenge to quit smoking.
Consult “The 10 Commandments of a Good Quit Buddy” for further information.
How to prepare for the challenge
The “Challenger Box” (new this year!)
This box contains materials and advice to help you take on the challenge to quit smoking. Get your “Challenger box” from your community’s representative.
If you do not know who your community’s representative is, call 1 819 964-2222, extension 301.
What is in the “Challenger Box”?
- The participant’s guide: advice and tips as well as a calendar to monitor your progress
- A list of resources to prepare to quit smoking
- A stress ball: to resist the urge to smoke and to relieve tension
- A water bottle: drinking plenty of water helps eliminate nicotine from your body
- A #StayQuitToWinNunavik bracelet: display your pride as a participant!
- A #StayQuitToWinNunavik sticker: to encourage others to participate
- Mini self-adhesive posters: help us fight the tobacco industry by displaying these anti-smoking messages!
For other tools
- Poster for the 2019 (Stay) Quit to Win Challenge
- Postcard: Three Good Reasons to Register for the Challenge
- Virtual postcard: Three Good Reasons to Promote the Contest
- Poster: Why Smoke?
For statistics on participation in the 2018 edition.
For more information
1 819-964-2222, extension 301